Friday 4 October 2013

INSOMNIAC


The world around me turns to grey
Everything seems far away
All voices… noises… fade away
And I’ll run, to fight another day

Eyelids, heavy cloaks over weary eyes red  
Shoulders stooped over by burdens of the day
Legs tired to the bone, made of lead
Too hard to lift, a tonne they weigh

Through a wave of fatigue, I dragged myself to bed
And on pillow and quilt I lay my head
As I hit the lights and embraced the dark
A realization came to me sudden and stark

Too tired to sleep,
Too sleepy to stay up

Oh! Not this again! I beseech
But tonight would be a very long night
Sleep was in view, but just beyond reach
Staring at the start of a losing fight

Hollow thoughts keep ringing in my mind
Stuck in an endless loop
Like a broken record player on rewind
My minds stays on, though my eyes they droop
And no rest, no solace, I can find

Images, voices from days long dead,
Premonitions of roads I’m yet to take
These waking dreams, these thoughts I dread
For neither pleasure nor sense they seem to make
Caged like a prisoner in my own throbbing head
So painfully numb, am I still awake?

Stuck in a realm, a world bizarre
In no man’s land. Neither awake, nor asleep
Currents pulling me away from a conscious shore afar
Too shallow to drown in the ocean of subconscious, so deep
Two opposing forces, my mind at war
Driven to the edge of insanity, a cliff so steep













No pretense of reality,
No world outside
Unraveling my personality,
Till I have nothing more to hide
The masks I wear come undone
My demons, all out, into the sun

But the numbness drowns out all the fear
Of monsters lurking in my mind
And of voices, dark and drear
So numb, that it leaves no feeling behind

The harder I try, the more I drift away from sleep
Like a noose growing tighter as I pull myself free
Oh! How I yearn for slumber so deep
And of escape into the world of dreams

Still struggling I lay, with a long lost fight
Then I beheld the glorious sight
The first rays of dawn, the night they break
As I still lie awake



No comments: